The Town of Kirchdorf

The local part Kirchdorf ranks among the oldest villages on the Baar. This cannot be proven through documents, but one of the oldest graves (created 560-600 AD) of the alemannischen Urmark Klengen (the local countryside of Klengen) was found in Kirchdorf in the St. Martins Church. The village changed the name in the course of its history several times: from “Eiginhova” (documented from 793) to “Chilchdorf (around 1200) to the “church village” (Kirchendorf) and later again back to the today's Kirchdorf.

 

The village is one the most important medieval church locations between the Black Forest and Bodensee. This is testified by the excavations by the Office for National Monuments found in the St. Martin church between 1978 and 1982.

 

Therefore there was a place of worship already there around 600 AD. For the successor church, the name St. Martin and the donation by the Franconia kings (probably already at the beginning 9th Century) is shown in a document from 888 (a copy of the document is in the entrance of the St. Martins Church).

Kirchdorf grew in the last decades strongly. New populated areas developed as well as a trade area. In its surroundings, the new local centre of the whole municipality developed. Kirchdorf is pressed thereby so close to Klengen that both two form an almost closed unit.

 

Text Box: Figure 1 - In silver on green soil a red churchIn the center you find the “All Saints Church” located. Finished in 1982, this modern place of worship inserts itself harmoniously into the local picture. In direct neighborhood in addition the new community center developed in the subsequent years.

 

If you are interested to know more about the history of Kirchdorf, there is in the city hall, a small chronicle from Robert Faller (128 pages) at the price from 5,00 euro.

 

Already the oldest city seal of the municipality, Kirchdorf from the year 1830, shows a church. Later stamps took over in each case the motive, the remarks commodity however differently. , stinging stamps in the driving trade was surprised not exercised nevertheless. The fate of the artists was different thereby. In 1901 the municipality requested their desire to maintain the church in the coat of arms. With a better representation of the church the new suggestion was also accepted.

 

http://www.brigachtal.de/servlet/PB/menu/1108675_pcontent_l1/navigate1113561907021.html